A warm welcome to companions!
We’re here to help
As a companion you might be watching the Let’s Chat video with a friend, a family member or someone you care for. We understand that you’ll want to help the person you are watching the Let’s Chat videos with to get the best from them. So here is some guidance for you so that you can enjoy chatting together.
A companion’s guide to our videos
To get you started:
- Each Let’s Chat video lasts between 15-20 minutes (plus your chatting time) including conversation starters, questions and activities.
- Throughout the video there will be opportunities to pause it for you to enjoy chatting together.
- Make sure you are in a quiet and comfortable place and feel ready to join in with the video.
- Make sure you give the person you are watching the video with time to respond.
- Don’t worry if your chat goes off in a different direction, you may learn someting new about each other!
To help someone get chatting:
- Try reminding them of a shared experience that relates to the video.
- Chat about a story that you have heard from them, or their family, that relates to what you are watching.
- Is there a grandchild or younger person that they know who has experienced something related to the theme of the video? How did their experience differ from the person watching the video?
Encouraging prompts to continue a conversation:
When you were younger did you do/see that?
Do you or, anyone in your family, like this?
Have you, or anyone you know, seen that?
Have you ,or your family/friends, been there?
Additional tips to get the most out of our videos:
- Feel free to add your own questions to help get chatting. You know the person you are watching the video with and there might be something that they, or someone they know, has done that’s related to what you are watching.
- There is no rush and you can keep the video on pause for as long as you both need.
- Some people may prefer not to watch the video all in one go and that’s ok. You can have a break and come back to it.
- Make sure that you are watching the Let’s Chat video on a device that you can easily see and hear. For example a TV, laptop or an iPad.
- You may wish to watch the video more than once. This is a lovely idea as there may be more conversations that you can enjoy.
- Sometimes you might find a little support is needed to help a person engage. Holding their hand, or making a connection, to show you are watching the video with them can be helpful.
- If a person is feeling uncomfortable, or if it is the wrong time of day for them, it’s probably best to wait for another time to watch the video.
- As a companion, you know what works best with your routine. Choose a time of the day that suits you both to watch the video.
- It is recommended that the greatest benefit will be gained from engaging in the current Let’s Chat title in the month that you receive it. As many of the videos are based on topical and time of year themes, watching them in the suggested period will increase their relevance, aid orientation to time and add to the enjoyment you gain from them.